The Lahore declaration symbolized an India-Pakistan bilateral agreement which was signed on
21st February 1999 by the Prime Minster of India and Pakistan i.e. Atal Bihari Vajpayee and
Nawaz Sharif respectively. This declaration was held to the smooth the strained relationship
between India and Pakistan on the issue of nuclear tests taken on May 1998.But it sprit died on
May 1999 due to the outbreak of Kargil war between India and Pakistan.
This agreement was on a large scale but another agreement was signed by the two countries India
and Pakistan before the Lahore declaration in1971 there was an extreme war between the two
countries in which the East-Pakistan was separated from West-Pakistan. But after that they
resolved there issues and signed a peaceful agreement, in 1972.
Again the tension started when both of the countries became nuclear powers. India tested her
nuclear power Pokhar on 11th and 13th May, 1998.It felt proud because she was included in world
Nuclear power race. Pakistan did not remained at and tested her nuclear power at Chagai-I Ros
Koh at the place of Chagai Hills on 28th May, 1998 and Chagai -II on 30th May, and brought
herself in the race of nuclear power. Now the issue of security was created so for resolved this
problem Lahore declaration was held in 1999.
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif gave invitation to the Prime Minister of India Shri Atal Behari
Vajpayee. The Indian Prime Minister accepted the invitation of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.
On 20_ 21st February1999 he visited to Pakistan on opening ceremony of bus service from Delhi
to Lahore with other important members of India such as Dev Anand, Javed Akhtar, Satish
Gujral, Kuldip Neyer, Shatrughan Sinha and Malik Sarabhai.He was warmly welcomed by the
Prime Minister of Pakistan Nawaz Sharif at the Pakistani Wagah Border.
There was a long discussion between the two Prime Minister’s of Pakistan and India.
- They discussed step by step all issues especially the issue related to nuclear power.
- Both of the countries became nuclear power they had a feared for security, so both of
them wanted that there should be a peaceful and friendly environment between both the countries.
- The next important statement is that the both Prime Minister’s of Pakistan and India to
Gave or concentrated on world trade organization to increase in the economic development of both countries that would be benefit for future.
- Another issue was about to give facilities to the travelers of India and Pakistan and there should be less limitation in visa. In this way there could do easy trade and smoothen in their relations.
- So both of these countries felt satisfaction on the Bus services between Lahore to New Delhi i-e Samjhota express.
- The next important issue was that they should concentrate on the humanitarians’ issues like the missing Prisoners of war.
- The other important point was that the both of the countries should concentrate on Memorandum of understanding issues like Kashmir; they should resolved this problem in a friendly environment for their better future.
- Both countries should accept the principles of the United Nation and struggle for the peaceful environment in South Asia.
- There should be specific areas for exchanging the information technology to solved the problems of Y2K.
- The main objective of the Lahore declaration was security because both of them were rushing into the race of nuclear power. They should took steps very carefully and resolved all the problems in a very friendly environment. Otherwise it would became dangerous for both of the countries.
- Both of the Prime Ministers’s committed that there should be two Ministers on both sides to take care of the human rights and exchange their points about any subject and also gave information’s to each other.
At the end both of the Prime Minister’s of Pakistan and India seem very happy. They signed on the declaration in a friendly environment.
After signing on the peaceful agreement the Prime Minister of India delivered a speech at the banquet which was arranged by Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif in his honor.
He expressed that he was happy to came in Pakistan and enjoyed the visit. There was fifty years of Independence. There were two sides in his point of view one side is pride and other side is regret. Both of them give pleasure and other side disappointed to him. Country successfully survived this was the pleasure side and other side was that both of us still fought with unemployed and poverty. We did free ourselves with these two diseases.
He was very thankful to the Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif to gave him a chance to delivered his speech on this historic fort where Shah Jahan was born and Akbar lived here for a long period and thanks for hosting in a historic place.
When he came here earlier at that time he was alone. But now he has to represent the whole India.
He said; that they have started the bus services between Lahore to New Delhi it doesn’t means to travel from one country to another country. It means that the people of two countries come together exchange the information’s and improve their relation because they want a friendly relation.
He said that there were a lot of problem which could not be solved without discussion so we should came together and discussed our views for the prosperity of the countries.
At the end he gave invitation to Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and Begum Sahiba to visit India. They should visit each other countries to improve the relations.
After Prime Minister Vajpayee speech Prime Minister of Pakistan share his feelings.
Firstly he welcomed and thanked to Prime Minister Vajpayee to visit Pakistan on his invitation.
He said that their main objective was to create peace and friendly relations in South Asia could helped for the progressed and prosperity in both of the countries as well as in the whole South Asia.
Another plan was that they should made plans and organizations to brought peace in countries and it proved very fruitful for the future generation.
The Lahore decoration 1999 paved a way for the optimistic relation pattern between India and Pakistan after been undergone sewers tension due to nuclear tests.Vajpyee also received acknowledgment in India but this pact remained an object of suspicious ion .The relation between Pakistan and India turned a new shape adversely after the kargil war of 1999.The Indian army retook the territory and again the harsh relations emerged between India and Pakistan. The conflict resulted in the overthrow of Nawaz Sharif by military dictator Musharaf so the declaration was short lined.